Thursday, July 23, 2009

Week One-ish ...

This is sort of a mish-mash of the different challenges I started doing unofficially. This week I am trying to do the July Veggie Challenge – eating veggies at every meal. It … is hard. This morning my gag reflex kicked in pretty strongly when I put a piece of lettuce in my mouth. I didn’t know if I’d be able to chew. When you’re on a budget, don’t like that many vegetables, and purchased salad fixings … you’re kind of stuck. With a salad at every meal. And … after a while it sorta blows. But we will see if it results in a nice weight loss this week. If it doesn’t, I am going to murder a tomato with a homemade shiv crafted from a celery stick.

Last week my (unofficial) challenge was cooking more! I cooked more and as it turns out, bringing my own chicken and potatoes to work was highly satisfying and inspired envy in my co-workers. Suck it, Lean Pockets (the most commonly stolen item in office kitchens!). Now, I don’t know if chicken and potatoes is absolutely the HEALTHIEST food I could eat ever, but at least they are both foods that occur in nature. My body definitely feels better when I eat foods that are naturally occurring. Baby steps. This resulted in a 1.6 pound weight loss for the week.

I also attempted to make some pancakes, and set off the smoke detector. Of the alleged 8 pancakes the recipe was to create, I had two edible ones. Unfortunately neither contained any of the blueberries that were part of the recipe. But they were not half-bad, meaning they were half-good.

I’m continuing this cooking challenge this week.

Tonight I will attempt to make the sweet potato recipe I found for delicious, parmesean covered sweet potato fries. (These recipes were both from the Biggest Loser Cookbook). I will probably end up eating them at lunch tomorrow instead of dinner due to the cracker debacle of earlier.

I am slowly going to attempt to perfect a few things until I get to the point where I have a lot of tasty recipes I can recreate perfectly in my arsenal. And then, like magic, I will be a healthy eater and chef! Voila!

Next week’s challenge: Working out every day. I will aim for AT LEAST a half-hour of gym activity every day. I hope to go above that but I think a half hour is better than nothing and a reasonable amount of time to devote.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I had some good ideas last night but now I can't think of them all.. Here are a few:

    - Try eating NO processed food for a week
    - Try reducing salt for a week (that's my big problem)
    - Try planning all meals for the week ahead of time and eating that
    - Drink certain amount of water every day (probably already do though)
    - Ride a bike with me!
    - Walk everywhere except work (or combination of CTA/walk if its far). Maybe set goal of that 10,000 steps or whatever people do.
    - Set a certain budget for the week and try to get the healthiest foods with limited funds

    Those are some..not all very good but I'll keep thinking b/c I want do do them too.

    Your sister,
    Kelli Clifford

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is totally awesome kristin. i might pretend that this blog is mine and use the suggestions myself.

    I have been thinking about healthy eating for WAY too long and i ALSO occasionally have gag reflex issues with salads, even though there are some that i LOVE. Namely, this AWESOME one I made last week.
    -Romaine lettuce, chopped granny smith apple, strawberries, goat cheese, sunflower seeds (or pecans or almond slices), yellow pepper and this amazing raspberry vinaigrette from Trader Joe's.
    Also, saw this great link from the NY Times w/100 easy salad recipes!
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/dining/22mlist.html

    OKAYYYYY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neighbor, will you make me that salad?! That sounds delish!

    Kristin - The sweet potato fries are my favorite recipe in the Biggest Loser cookbook. (Lemme guess, those blueberry pancakes were from the BL Cookbook?) You will love them! Try the eggplant lasagna too.

    Another cookbook I recommend? Cook Yourself Thin. It's a TV show on Lifetime that I'm addicted to. They make the best stuff ever!

    ReplyDelete